Job Description Executive Director
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the organization and all aspects of the organizations operations. Key responsibilities include, but are not restricted to: 1) administration including operations and program planning, 2) development and fiscal management, 3) strategic planning and outreach 4) strategic partnerships and relations.
The position provides organizational leadership and program planning by overseeing operations and by managing resources, programs and services to ensure the overall effectiveness of the organization.
Percentage of time: 40 %
- Advancing the vision and mission of MFH through engaged participatory leadership
- Administration of all MFH operations including programs, resources, staffing, services
- Building strong partnerships that advance the work of MFH
- Develop and maintain organizational policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Ensure all projects are carried out in accordance with MFH’s values and principles.• Develop and maintain internal financial systems, M&E, and reporting systems.
- Manage and supervise the programs, daily activities and employees’ work plans.
- Oversee hiring and retention of qualified staff with the Board personnel committee.
DEVELOPMENT AND FISCAL MANAGEMENT:
The position provides leadership to financial planning, fund development and oversight of financial performance through effective management and sustainable development.
Percentage of time: 35 %
- Foster a vision for financial stability, growth and sustainability.
- Manage financial resources to ensure the ongoing financial health of the organization.
- Develop and maintain annual operating budget
- Oversee the development of the annual budget and year-end reports, providing reports to the donors and BOD in a timely manner.
- Ensure the organization is operating within the approved budget, reporting bi-monthly to the board. Assure reports accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Oversee maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position
- Responsible for fundraising, grant writing and seeking other resources necessary to support MFH’s mission in collaboration with staff and BOD
- Seek opportunities to grow donor base through innovative fundraising strategies including engaging diverse individuals and groups in supporting the organization
- Nurture relationships with past and future donors with appropriate letters, reports, and personal contact.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, local and private funding requirements and regulations.
STRATEGIC PLANNING AND OUTREACH: the position works with the staff and board to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach and engagement
Percentage of time: 15 %
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress
- Design, develop, and supervise strategic planning for the organization.
- Develop and initiate time-oriented strategic plans to establish agency goals (e.g., 1-year, 5-year, 10-year plans.)
- Review program/agency progress and compare to goals and objectives
- Oversee implementation and effective delivery of MFH’s programs and services
- Provide ongoing review and assessment of activities in alignment with strategic plan
- Foster the enhancement of Midwives For Haiti’s relationships with community, professionals and other collaborative partners
- Serve as MFH’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the general public and the media
- Promote excellence in programs and services by maintaining a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field. Work closely together with the BOD and staff to develop the framework of internal and external M&E, approaches, methodologies, tools, and supervise its implementation.
Strategic Partnerships and Relations:
The position creates an environment for paid staff, board members, volunteers, and donors that provides a collaborative, participatory atmosphere fostering team work, accountability and success
Percentage of time 10 %
- Work with the Board of Directors to evaluate activities and to assess alignment with the organizations Strategic Plan
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization throughout the United States and Haiti
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board by providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
- Work with the Administrative and Development Director and the Board Chair to set agenda for Board Meetings
- Oversees marketing and other communications efforts.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Work with HR staff and committee in the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place by providing regular supervision to staff in leadership/management positions
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience out of which at least 3 years should be within a relevant context and with formulating and directing programs or leading an organization.
- A Master’s degree in management, development studies, public health, social sciences, nursing/midwifery or other related fields
- Experience in project management, including managing multi-stakeholder and complex projects
- Experience in financial management, budgeting and work planning.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Ability to mentor, motivate, guide and manage teams top-down
- Strong communication skills in English both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of global maternal health/midwifery
- International experience in resource limited context preferred
- Ability to manage complex program located in two countries
- Demonstrated leadership experience, with strong strategy and planning skills
- Relationships building attributes, along with an ability to manage expectations & conflicts
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to advocate for MFH’s vision and mission statement as defined by the Board of Directors
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and facilitation skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with attention-to-detail
- Excellent writing (MS Word) & presentation (Power point) Skills
- Able to handle varied, demanding and complex tasks
- Ability to work under pressure, high commitment to deadlines in a rapidly changing and insecure environment
- Ability to read a profit and loss statement
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors
The Executive Director must be willing to work on site in Haiti for 2 to 8 weeks, 3 or 4 times a year.
Salary – Commensurate with experience
Hiring Range: $60,000 to $70,000
- Travel stipend and Health insurance contribution
The following are core competencies required for the role:
- Passionate commitment – This competency shows you have a passion, dedication, and proactively can show your support for MFH
- Embracing change – This competency is about you showing you are flexible and responsive to changing needs. It is about innovating, doing something new or differently.
- Working together -This competency is about how we all relate to one another – either as Managers, and Team, the Team itself, or colleague to colleague.
- Delivering results – This competency is about achieving a high quality of measurable results while at the same time maintaining or even raising, the quality of work.
- Knowledge management – This competency is about working in a way that promotes information and knowledge sharing to the team and our broader network.
Any employee of Midwives for Haiti will adhere to the core values of the organization. Our core values include:
Genuine Partnership– We will strive to be in genuine partnership with those who share our vision.
Education– We will deliver education that enables critical thinking and competent autonomous practice.
Compassion– We will embody the compassionate service that is an essential characteristic of quality healthcare.
Faith– We will act with the belief that change can occur, one person at a time, and through the efforts of small groups of people who believe it can.
Pragmatic Solidarity– We will strive to find culturally and resource-appropriate solutions to community-identified problems by means of respectful communication with the communities we serve.
Please refer to our website to learn about our programs at www.midwivesforhaiti.org.