We are looking for the following skills in a Midwives for Haiti volunteer:
- Licensed Midwife, Obstetrician-Gynecologist, or Nurse with at least one year of experience managing births and/or making clinical decisions in a maternity environment
- Desire to support skill-building of students rather than provide direct medical care
- Flexibility and willingness to help wherever needed to support our programs and maternal health work in Haiti
- Ability to work in a medical system that may be different from your own experience
- Previous experience in a developing country or low-resource setting is highly desirable but not necessary
- French or Haitian Creole language skills are useful though not required
Volunteer program fees go directly to support Midwives For Haiti’s volunteer program as well as our projects which aim to deliver high impact health interventions in Haiti. Midwives For Haiti is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and your fees are tax-deductible.
As of May 1, 2018, the individual program fee for all volunteers coming after May 1st is $795 for one week, and $495 for each additional week. A non-refundable $150 deposit is due within one week of scheduled trip confirmation (the remainder is due 4 weeks prior to arrival). Volunteers are required to pay their own roundtrip flight expenses to Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
Midwives For Haiti no longer provides discounted rates and customized invoices for individuals or small groups. Groups of five or more do qualify for a discount, contact us for details. We cannot accept children; minimum volunteer age is 18.
If Midwives For Haiti cancels the trip, the volunteer may request a full refund or may apply the fees to a rescheduled trip. If the volunteer cancels their trip, their deposit is nonrefundable but may request a refund of the remainder of their fees or apply the entire balance to a rescheduled trip.
We are able to accommodate volunteers on a week-to-week basis (Saturday to Saturday). Volunteers are welcome to apply for one week or more. One week is sufficient time to experience many of our programs and lend a hand in the classroom. Volunteer who wish to come for more than one week may request a longer stay in their application.
We strongly recommend that you book your trip two months in advance, as we have limited slots available at our guesthouse.
Your program package includes:
- Personal support from MFH staff throughout scheduling and preparation process
- Program materials, including orientation documents
- Fundraising strategies and resources
- Accommodations at MFH’s house in Hinche, Haiti
- Meals: 3 meals daily (lunch and dinner prepared for you by staff)
- Airport transportation: pick-up and drop-off in Port-Au-Prince on Saturdays only
- Program orientation by MFH staff members upon your arrival
- Support: 24/7 support from our In-Country staff
- Access to a Haitian translator Monday-Friday
- Local transportation around Hinche for volunteer activities
- Midwives For Haiti t-shirt
- Advocacy Packet
- Subscription to our monthly newsletter
- Access to our private Facebook Group
Please be advised that we take the health and safety of our volunteers very seriously. The following mosquito borne viruses have been reported in Haiti:
- According to the CDC, the Zika virus is present in Haiti. The CDC advises pregnant women (or anyone who might become pregnant) to avoid travel to regions with Zika.
- The most recent confirmed case of dengue fever among staff or volunteers in Hinche was November 2015.
- Chikungunya swept through Haiti in 2014. We have not seen a new case since July 2014.